10 Common Hair care mistakes that are damaging Your Hair
Hair is one of the most important features of our appearance and can greatly affect our confidence. It is the accessory we wear every day. Many of our clients (including ourselves) are guilty of making simple mistakes in our hair care routine that can damage our hair and leave us with dull, brittle, and lifeless hair.
Here are 10 common hair care mistakes that you may be making and how to avoid them:
1. Over-shampooing: Shampooing too often can strip your hair of its natural oils and leave it dry, brittle, and prone to breakage. Stick to shampooing once or twice a week using a gentle, sulfate-free shampoo recommended by your stylist.
2. Using heat styling tools daily: Blow dryers, flat irons, and curling wands are great for getting that salon-perfect style, but using them every day can cause heat damage and dry out your hair. Try to limit your use of heat styling tools and use a heat protector spray before styling to reduce the risk of damage.
3. Brushing wet hair: Wet hair is more delicate and prone to breakage, so it's important to be gentle when brushing and to use a wide-toothed comb instead of a brush. Start at the ends and work your way up, taking care not to tug or pull at your hair.
4. Skipping trims: Regular trims are an important part of maintaining healthy hair. Split ends and breakage can be prevented by getting a trim every six to eight weeks, so make sure to book an appointment with your stylist.
5. Using harsh hair products: Products that contain alcohol, sulfates, silicones and other harsh ingredients can damage your hair and strip it of its natural oils. Look for products that are labeled "sulfate-free" and "silicone-free" and always read the label before using a new product.
6. Not using a heat protector: Before using heat styling tools, it's important to apply a heat protector spray to your hair to help prevent damage. Look for a product that is specifically designed for use with heat styling tools and that provides protection up to 230°c
7. Over-styling: Over-styling with braids, ponytails, and other hairstyles can put a lot of stress on your hair and cause breakage. We recommend using using invisibobbles and scrunchies and opt for loosely tied, low-maintenance styles whenever possible.
8. Not protecting hair from the sun: UV rays from the sun can cause damage to your hair and cause dehydration, so it's important to protect it from the sun. Wear a hat or scarf when spending time outside, and use hair products that provide UV protection.
9. Sleeping with wet hair: Going to bed with wet hair can lead to matting and tangles, which can cause breakage. Try to air dry your hair before bed and use a satin pillowcase to minimize friction. When sleeping we recommend loosely plaiting your hair to reduce breakage and friction while sleeping.
10. Not using a deep conditioner: Deep conditioning is an important step in your hair care routine as it helps to nourish and rehydrate damaged hair. Look for a deep conditioner that is formulated for your hair type and use it once a week to keep your locks looking their best.
Taking care of your hair is important for maintaining its health and preventing damage. By avoiding these damaging habits and making changes to your hair care routine, you can keep your hair looking its best. If you're not sure what's best for your hair, consult a professional stylist who can give you personalized advice and recommendations.
words by @bethcareyhair